These ahi tuna tacos are bursting with taste! They pair seared ahi tuna with cilantro lime slaw and creamy chipotle crema.
Love a very good fish taco? Right here’s a brand new spin that you just’ll fall for simply as onerous: Ahi Tuna Tacos! Meaty tuna steak is the perfect filling for a taco, contrasted with contemporary cilantro lime slaw. High it off with chipotle sauce and one other sprinkle of cilantro, and it’s somewhat little bit of the whole lot: savory, spicy, contemporary, cool, and creamy. It’s superb for a straightforward weeknight meal, however spectacular sufficient for entertaining. Should you’re a tuna steak lover like we’re, you’ll love this distinctive technique to serve this versatile fish.
Components in tuna tacos
These tuna tacos are a spin on the fish taco, invented within the Nineteen Fifties in Mexico’s Baja California peninsula. In reality, each the cities of Ensenada and San Felipe, Mexico declare to have invented the fish taco! The thought then rapidly unfold throughout the border to San Diego, the place they turned standard in America within the 1980’s (a lot partly to a restaurant referred to as Rubio’s Contemporary Mexican Grill).
This recipe seeks to honor the normal Mexican flavors, utilizing seared tuna as an alternative of the everyday breaded fish and pairing it with a zingy contemporary slaw. Listed below are the weather in these ahi tuna tacos:
- Ahi tuna steaks
- Spices: Cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, garlic powder, and onion powder
- Cilantro lime slaw
- Chipotle crema (or various sauce; see beneath)
- Pink onion (for garnish)
Ideas for purchasing ahi tuna steak
Ahi tuna, aka yellowfin tuna or bigeye tuna, is a gentle, lean fish generally served as sushi, in poke bowls, or cooked uncommon or medium-rare. Right here’s what to search for when shopping for tuna steaks for these tuna tacos:
- Make certain it’s sushi or sashimi grade. There aren’t any particular rules across the label “sushi-grade,” nevertheless it means it’s a top quality fish that’s secure to be eaten uncooked.
- Verify on the fish counter. It is best to be capable to discover ahi tuna steaks at your native grocery counter.
- Search for frozen steaks. Or, it’s potential that your grocery might need frozen steaks. These could be even more energizing than contemporary tuna in the event that they’re flash frozen proper after they’re caught. You’ll simply must thaw the evening earlier than within the fridge.
- Discover wild caught. Fish that’s wild caught is normally a sustainable selection. There are additionally high quality choices in well-regulated farms; see Seafood Watch Client Information.
Easy methods to cook dinner tuna steak
When you’ve obtained a fantastic piece of fish, the toughest a part of this recipe is searing the tuna. Listed below are a couple of tips about methods to cook dinner tuna steaks:
- Enable it to return to room temperature first! That is vital: in any other case the within remains to be chilly when the outside is cooked! Enable it to sit down at room temperature for at the very least 20 minutes previous to cooking. You should use this time to arrange the slaw and sauce, then sear the fish proper earlier than serving.
- Use a meals thermometer to evaluate temperature (130 levels Fahrenheit). Add the steaks to a skillet and cook dinner 1 to 2 minutes per aspect, till frivolously browned on the surface however nonetheless uncommon the within. For a medium-rare tuna steak, the interior temperature ought to be 130 levels Fahrenheit when measured with a meals thermometer on the thickest level.
- Relaxation for two minutes. This helps it to set and develop into simpler to chop.
For the cilantro lime slaw
An ideal fish taco typically has a creamy slaw, and this one isn’t any exception! The cilantro lime slaw in these tacos is so good, you’ll end up frequently sneaking bites. This recipe has a little bit of a shortcut so that you’re not spending an excessive amount of time chopping. Use a bag of coleslaw combine, then mix it with shredded crimson cabbage! It makes for a beautiful mixture of coloration and texture.
Tip: Obtained any leftover cilantro lime slaw? Eat it as a aspect dish for the tacos!
Sauces for tuna tacos
These tuna tacos are unbelievable drizzled with chipotle crema, which provides a savory creaminess and a little bit of smoky warmth. Combine it up whereas your tuna involves room temp, or attempt one in all these various sauces primarily based in your preferences and what you may have available:
- Chipotle crema: A bitter cream-based sauce with adobo sauce, garlic and lime
- Chipotle sauce: A zingy vegan sauce with tahini, adobo sauce and lime
- Yum Yum sauce: A mayo-based savory candy sauce that originated at Japanese steakhouses (not spicy)
Extra tuna recipes
Tuna is one versatile fish! Listed below are a couple of extra nice tuna steak recipes with concepts for methods to cook dinner it:
This tuna tacos recipe is…
Pescatarian, gluten-free and dairy-free (with chipotle sauce).
These tuna tacos are bursting with taste! They pair seared ahi tuna with cilantro lime slaw and creamy chipotle crema.
For the cilantro lime slaw
- 14 ounce bag coleslaw combine (7 cups)
- 2 cups shredded crimson cabbage
- ¾ cup chopped cilantro, plus extra for serving
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- 4 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Contemporary floor black pepper
For the tuna tacos
- Enable the tuna steak to return to room temperature by letting it stand for at the very least 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, make the slaw: Shred the crimson cabbage and chop the cilantro. Place it in a big bowl with the coleslaw combine. Combine within the mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, lime juice, maple syrup, chili powder, kosher salt, and contemporary floor black pepper to style.
- Make the sauce: Make the Chipotle Crema, Chipotle Sauce or Yum Yum Sauce.
- Prepare dinner the tuna: When able to cook dinner, pat the tuna dry. In a small bowl, stir collectively the salt, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, garlic powder, and onion powder. Sprinkle the seasoning combine liberally on all sides of the tuna. Warmth the oil in a medium skillet over medium excessive warmth. Add the tuna steak and cook dinner 1 to 2 minutes per aspect, till frivolously browned on the surface however nonetheless uncommon the within. The tuna will proceed cooking whereas sitting. For a medium-rare tuna steak, the interior temperature ought to be 130 levels Fahrenheit when measured with a meals thermometer on the thickest level. Cool for two minutes. Then slice the tuna in opposition to the grain into ½-inch slices. Style and add further salt if needed.
- Heat the tortillas: Heat and char the tortillas by inserting them on an open fuel flame on medium for a couple of seconds per aspect, flipping with tongs, till they’re barely blackened and heat. (See Easy methods to Heat Tortillas.)
- Assemble the tacos: Add beneficiant spoonfuls of cilantro lime slaw, then slices of tuna. High with Chipotle Sauce and extra contemporary cilantro. Take pleasure in instantly.
*Frozen is okay, simply thaw within the fridge earlier than serving.
- Class: Important Dish
- Technique: Stovetop
- Delicacies: Mexican Impressed
- Weight loss plan: Gluten Free
Key phrases: Tuna tacos, ahi tuna tacos