Right here’s what to find out about frisee! This delicate, frilly lettuce is good for including texture and class to salads.
What’s with that frizzled lettuce perched subsequent to romaine and iceberg on the grocery? It’s frisee! Frisée, aka curly endive, is a leafy inexperienced with frilly leaves and a subtly bitter taste. Its feathery leaves work nice as an announcement in salads, including a great deal of texture and drama. Right here’s extra about it, the best way to preserve it contemporary, and methods it use it in recipes!
All about frisee
Frisée goes by a number of totally different names, together with curly endive and endive lettuce. It’s a part of the chicory household and technically a sort of endive, although Belgian endive seems to be a lot totally different with its white coloration and cylindrical form.
What does frisee style like? It’s fluffy and crunchy, a hydrating burst with bitter peppery notes on the end. Pair it with sturdy flavors like daring dressings, cheeses, eggs, cured meats and extra. It’s additionally a pleasant distinction to different sorts of greens in a salad. (See the recipe concepts under!)
Shopping for and storing frisee
What to search for whenever you’re shopping for frisée on the retailer? Right here’s what to know:
- Can’t discover it on the retailer? Search for a head of ruffled leaves marked as frisee, curly endive, or endive lettuce. (Whereas it’s not technically the perfect descriptor, the latter was the case at our native grocery.)
- Anticipate variation in measurement and texture. Some heads of frisee are very small and frizzy, others have bigger leaves (just like the picture above). This varies based mostly on the maturity of the lettuce. We want a youthful, extra tender plant as a result of it’s fluffier with a milder taste, however it may be onerous to seek out.
- Retailer frisee refrigerated for five days. It stays greatest unwashed and wrapped in paper towel in a plastic bag. Wash it earlier than serving, then completely dry in a salad spinner or with towels.
Frisee is most frequently eaten uncooked, in salads and even as a garnish for dishes. It’s most well-known for its use the well-known French bistro salad, salade Lyonnaise, topped with lardons and a poached egg. Or, you may even sauté it! Listed below are just a few recipe concepts:
Extra fast guides? Attempt Fast Information to Endive, Fast Information to Romaine and Fast Information to Butter Lettuce.
This frisee salad is refreshing and complicated, pairing this frilly leafy inexperienced with orange, almonds and a zingy French dressing.
For the frisee salad
- 1 giant or 2 to three small heads frisée* (could also be marked as curly endive or endive lettuce)
- 1 orange, plus zest
- 1 shallot
- 1 ounce Manchego cheese (or shaved Parmesan cheese; omit for vegan)
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 1 handful contemporary mint leaves, elective
For the dressing (makes ½ cup; use 3 to 4 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- Contemporary floor black pepper
- Wash and dry the frisée, utilizing a salad spinner or clear towel. Tear or chop the frisee into items.
- Zest half the orange. Then section the orange, following the directions in The right way to Reduce an Orange.
- Thinly slice the shallot. Slice the Manchego cheese into items.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the white wine vinegar, Dijon, maple syrup or honey, salt. Whisk within the oil 1 tablespoon at a time till a creamy dressing varieties. Add just a few grinds of contemporary floor black pepper. Serve instantly or refrigerate as much as 2 weeks (carry to room temperature previous to serving).
- Serve the salad: place the greens on a big platter or separate plates. High with orange slices, shallot, cheese, sliced almonds, orange zest, and mint leaves. Drizzle with about 3 to 4 tablespoons of the dressing, to style.
*Sizes obtainable at shops differ significantly based mostly on the maturity of the plant. See the picture above for a big head of frisee. If the heads are very small you could want 2 to three. Estimate about 6 cups greens complete.
- Class: Salad
- Technique: No Prepare dinner
- Delicacies: Salad
- Food regimen: Vegetarian