Right here’s what to learn about endive! This leafy vegetable is crunch with a bitter end, very best for salads and crudite platters.
On the lookout for a salad with sophistication? Attempt endive! Endive is a leafy vegetable with a small cylindrical head, associated to different bitter greens like radicchio and escarole. Take one chew and it’s bought a crisp, hydrating burst with a bitter end. Endive is commonly utilized in salads, however its cup formed leaves make it very best for scooping up creamy dips, too. Right here’s a bit extra about this leafy inexperienced and our high methods to make use of it in recipes!
Forms of endive
Belgian endive has an fascinating backstory: it was “found” in 1830 by a Belgian farmer. Jan Lammers left some chicory roots in his cellar for a couple of months, and located that they sprouted tender, crunchy leaves. This “new” vegetable is solely one other type of chicory, however it went on to change into very talked-about in Europe.
There are a couple of sorts of endive you’ll find on the retailer when procuring. Right here’s what to know:
- White endive (Belgian endive): This selection has a cylindrical head with creamy white leaves that style crunchy and subtly bitter.
- Purple endive: This selection is a cross between radicchio and white endive, and tastes milder and fewer bitter than white endive.
- Curly endive (frisee or endive lettuce): Frisée is a sort of endive, however it appears fully completely different! It’s inexperienced with frilly, ruffled leaves and a good milder taste.
- Broad leaf endive (escarole): Escarole has broader, curly inexperienced leaves and the mildest taste of the varieties.
Shopping for and storing endive
What to search for whenever you’re shopping for endive on the retailer? Right here’s what to know:
- Search for a agency head with compact, creamy white leaves. Solely the 2 outer leaves needs to be seen. Keep away from gentle heads with inexperienced leaves or browned ends.
- Retailer Belgian endive refrigerated for five to 7 days, in a loosely closed plastic bag or wrapped in a moist material.
- Retailer frisee and escarole refrigerated for five days, unwashed and wrapped in paper towel in a plastic bag. Wash earlier than serving.
Ought to endive be washed?
Endive doesn’t must be washed earlier than serving. Merely wipe down the outer leaves with a material (or take away and discard them). Why? The leaves haven’t been uncovered to soil, and so they’re packed in sanitary situations (supply). That makes this leafy inexperienced one of many best to work with.
Endive is most frequently eaten uncooked, however it may also be cooked! It’s nice in salads, and the cup-like leaves are nice for dipping into creamy dips. Or, stuff the leaves with goat cheese as a easy appetizer. It may also be braised and topped with herbs or a bechamel sauce. Listed here are a couple of recipe concepts:
Extra fast guides? Attempt Fast Information to Butter Lettuce, Fast Information to Romaine and Fast Information to Frisee.
This endive salad recipe is a mixture of refreshing, tangy and candy! Mix this bitter inexperienced with orange, Parmesan and pink wine French dressing.
- 3 heads Belgian endive
- ½ cup thinly sliced radicchio
- 2 oranges, plus zest
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- Pecorino or Parmesan cheese, shaved
- ¼ cup Purple Wine French dressing
- Lower off the underside 1/2-inch of the endives. Lower the leaves in half lengthwise, leaving a lot of the smaller leaves complete. Rinse the leaves and blot them dry with a towel or place in a salad spinner to dry.
- Zest one orange. Then reduce each of the oranges into segments (or just take away the items).
- Make the Purple Wine French dressing.
- Place the endive leaves on a big plate or platter, or on particular person plates. High with the sliced radicchio, orange zest and slices, sliced almonds and shavings of Pecorino or Parmesan cheese. High with the pink wine French dressing (style and add extra if crucial).
- Class: Salad
- Methodology: No Prepare dinner
- Delicacies: Salad
- Food plan: Vegetarian