Butter lettuce, aka butterhead or Bibb lettuce, is a young leafy inexperienced that’s perfect for salads! Right here’s what to find out about this selection.
There’s nothing extra eye-catching than the intense inexperienced of a head of butter lettuce, and does this tender inexperienced ship in relation to taste! If there’s a leafy inexperienced we love most for salads, it’s this one. It’s a class that features Bibb lettuce and Boston lettuce, and it makes the loveliest of salads. Right here’s extra about it, what to find out about shopping for and storing it, and some of our favourite recipes.
What’s butter lettuce?
Butter lettuce, aka butterhead lettuce, is a wide range of inexperienced lettuce that has a delicate, delicate texture harking back to the creaminess of butter (therefore the title), and a gentle, candy taste. This class of lettuce contains each Boston and Bibb lettuce. It’s typically bought as a small head with the roots nonetheless connected to maintain it from wilting, or in containers of separate leaves. You possibly can typically discover butter lettuce at farmers markets, particularly within the spring when tender greens are in season.
- Bibb lettuce has a small head and brilliant inexperienced leaves, and is the extra widespread of the 2 varieties. Its measurement makes it perfect for utilizing as cups for lettuce wraps. Bibb lettuce was developed from Boston lettuce within the early 1900’s by a person named John Bibb in Kentucky.
- Boston lettuce has a bigger head than Bibb, with delicate, unfastened leaves. This selection is a bit more durable to seek out. When you discover one thing labeled butter lettuce on the grocery retailer, it’s possible Bibb.
What’s a butter lettuce substitute? Strive a light lettuce like romaine. It’s a bit crunchier, however the taste is analogous.
Shopping for and storing butter lettuce (together with Bibb & Boston)
What to search for whenever you’re shopping for butter lettuce on the retailer? Right here’s what to know:
- Search for lettuce with strong, compact head and crisp leaves. Keep away from limp or boring lettuce with discolored or yellowed components.
- If the lettuce comes with a root connected, go away it on till serving. Place it within the fridge within the container it got here in, or wrap it in paper towels and place in a plastic bag. Butter lettuce lasts 3 to five days refrigerated.
- Some lettuce comes with indifferent leaves in a container. This manner it lasts for about 5 days refrigerated. Wait to clean and dry the greens till instantly previous to serving (or they might come pre-washed). A salad spinner makes fast work of drying.
Butter lettuce diet
Is butter lettuce good for you? Sure! Butter lettuce could be very low calorie meals that’s filled with nutritional vitamins and vitamins. Right here’s a top level view of butter lettuce diet:
- It’s very low in energy. One cup of chopped romaine has solely 7 energy (supply).
- It has no fats, ldl cholesterol or sodium. Nevertheless your salad dressing would possibly, so preserve that in thoughts when making ready this vegetable.
- It’s a very good supply of Vitamin A, Vitamin Okay, and folate. (supply)
Butter lettuce recipes
Butter lettuce is right for salads due to its silky, tender texture and gentle taste. It’s perfect tossed with a creamy dressing and a sprinkle of different veggies. Or, use it for lettuce wraps or as a tortilla various. Listed here are a couple of recipe concepts:
Extra fast guides? Strive Fast Information to Endive, Fast Information to Romaine and Fast Information to Frisee.
This crisp butter lettuce salad is straightforward and recent! Gown this delicate lettuce with Parmesan dressing, chives and breadcrumbs.
- 5 ounces butter lettuce (Bibb lettuce or Boston lettuce)
- 1 shallot
- 1 handful cherry tomatoes (or radishes)
- 1 handful recent chives
- ¼ cup Italian panko*
- ½ cup Parmesan Peppercorn Dressing (recipe under)
- Parmesan shavings, for garnish (non-obligatory)
For the Parmesan Dressing
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 1 tablespoon pink wine vinegar
- ½ tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon every kosher salt and recent floor black pepper
- 1 tablespoon water
- Wash and dry the lettuce (a salad spinner makes fast work). Then tear it into items.
- Thinly slice the shallot. Slice or quarter the cherry tomatoes or thinly slice the radishes. Finely chop the chives.
- Make the Parmesan dressing: whisk collectively the mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, grated Parmesan cheese, pink wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, garlic powder, salt, black pepper and water till a creamy dressing varieties.
- Place the butter lettuce on salad plates or a big platter. Prime with the sliced tomatoes or radishes, shallot, chives, and Parmesan cheese shavings. Drizzle with about ½ cup of the dressing and sprinkle with Italian panko.
*Panko is a Japanese-style breadcrumb combination that’s airier and lighter than conventional breadcrumbs. It has a crunchy texture which is extra satisfying on salads (breadcrumbs are a lot finer with nearly a sand-like texture). “Italian” means herbs and salt are added. It is best to be capable of discover Italian panko or plain panko simply at your native grocery retailer (typically additionally they promote gluten-free). If all you will have is obvious panko, you’ll be able to season it: combine ½ cup panko with ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt and ½ tablespoon Italian seasoning (or 1 teaspoon dried oregano and ¼ teaspoon every dried basil and thyme).
- Class: Salad
- Methodology: Uncooked
- Delicacies: Salad
- Weight loss plan: Vegetarian
Key phrases: Butter lettuce, Bibb lettuce, butterhead lettuce